- The New Orleans Pelicans invited YEP to moderate a community discussion on October 24 about policing in light of current tensions between law enforcement and minorities in Louisiana and across the country.Melissa and Darrin McCall helped guide the two-hour intimate dinner and conversation at the Pelicans training facility in Metairie. Guests included YEP youth and staff, Pelicans players and staff, local law enforcement agencies and other members of the community. We hope to connect with the Pelicans again to host similar events in the future. Here are some photos from the evening and this video produced by the Pelicans.
- YEP was interviewed on WDSU (CH 6) during the station’s morning show at 6:30 a.m. on October 19August Collins talked about the importance of the Student Pledge as part of the Day of National Concern – a national campaign against youth gun violence.He shared his personal experience of working with New Orleans youth and seeing firsthand the negative impact of gun violence in our community. Watch here.
- YEP’s Executive Director & Co-founder Melissa Sawyer was interviewed by WWL radio host Monica Pierre.Melissa talked about her recent trip to the White House for the South by South Lawn event and upcoming happenings with YEP. The segment aired throughout the morning of October 23 on the following stations: WWL-HD Radio The Delta – 6:00 a.m. | WEZB B-97 – 6:00 a.m. | WKBU Bayou 95.7 – 6:30 a.m. | WLMG Magic 101.9 – 7:00 a.m. | 3WL 1350-AM – 7:00 a.m. | WWL-AM 870 – 7:30 a.m. | 105.3 FM – 7:30 a.m. | wwl.com – 7:30 a.m.
- YEP Board Member Judge Calvin Johnson interviewed Melissa and Darrin McCall for his on-line radio show on WHIVFM at 5 pm on October 26.They discussed how YEP supports Opportunity Youth.
- A YEP Alumnus doing great things was featured in thisarticle.Ranked #1 on this list is Village graduate and former YEP staff member, Kym Anthoni (formerly known as Anthony Johnson).
- YEP Work and Learn grads Ashanti Alexander and Melane Edwards were profiled in this QUEORK promotionalvideo.After completing a YEP coordinated externship with the New Orleans-based company they were both hired by QUEORK because of the skill sets they learned in our creative digital media program.
For additional information please contact: Tania Dall, YEP’s Director of Communications – email@example.com – Direct: 504-522-1316 X 210