Dear YEP Supporters,
Where does the time go? Our Kid’s X-press Summer Camp is winding down this week. The program provides a safe and fun environment for campers ages 7-12. This summer we had a total of 81 young people who were enrolled.YEP has also wrapped up another successful NOPLAY Summer Scholars (NSS) program. During the 5-week NSS session, 25 youth received high school equivalency and intensive job readiness instruction. They also participated in college visits, learned about the college application process and earned stackable credentials such as CPR and First Aid training to help advance their career opportunities.
However, our 2017 summer programming isn’t over! This month a second NOPLAY Summer Scholars program kicks off with another 25 participants. July also means staff and teens are gearing up for YEP’s Teen Summer Employment Training (SET) Program which will provide 30 youth ages 13-16 with critical life skills, career and college exploration, financial literacy, educational and employment focused trips and employment readiness training.
A special thanks to YEP’s Summer Programming Funders.
- Emeril Lagasse Foundation
- Fore!Kids Foundation
- Link Stryjewski Foundation
- New Orleans Recreation Development Commission (NORDC)
- The RosaMary Foundation
- Tulane University’s Philanthropy and Social Change Class
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- YEP’s 2017 40 under 40 Cohort
Thank you for helping create meaningful and positive summer memories for young people at YEP!
YEP in Brazil
Members of the YEP team are in Brazil all this week! YEP Executive Director Melissa Sawyer, Deputy Director Jerome Jupiter, Director of Programs Darrin McCall and Work & Learn Center Director Brice White are taking part in the International Youth Foundation’s “(Re)Connecting Youth: Exchanging Global Lessons.” YEP is the first U.S. organization to be chosen for this international peer-to-peer learning exchange working with Rede Cidadã – a Brazilian-based organization that has placed more than 60,000 youth into work across Brazil. YEP hopes to learn from the non-profit’s success and is excited to be hosting a team from Rede Cidadã in New Orleans this August!
YEP in the news…
- WWL-TV (CBS) interviewed Director of Programs Darrin McCall for an > in-studio interview about YEP’s peer-to-peer learning exchange to Brazil before our team’s departure.
- Biz New Orleans Magazine’s > “Daily Biz Minute” e-newsletter also featured the Brazil learning exchange.
- After multiple juvenile arrests in June, WVUE (FOX 8) profiled YEP’s continued efforts at uplifting the lives of opportunity youth (either out of school or unemployed) in New Orleans. Watch the news report > ‘N.O. mentors: recent juvenile arrests show need for help’.
- WWL-TV (CBS) aired a > news segment on YEP’s summer camp programs and our organization’s “proactive approach to ending violence” in New Orleans.
For additional information please contact: Tania Dall, YEP’s Director of Communications – email@example.com – Direct: 504-522-1316 X 210